By KEN SOUZA
YLP Golf Course Operations Manager
It has been a long time since I brought the community up to date on our golf course. Since I took over as the operations manager of the course, we have developed a plan to increase the use of the course by making the overall golfing experience more enjoyable, exciting, and fair to the beginner as well as the seasoned players.
We have a beautiful 9-hole course right here in our own backyard, and our goal is to continue to make improvements which everyone will be proud of.
The following are a few of the projects that have been completed so far:
• A permanent water source for the course has been installed for the first time in over 25 years, this has allowed us to verticut and overseed the fairways this fall.
This will also allow us to continue to make improvements to the irrigation system in the future.
• The 8th green has been renovated, so that the back of the green is more playable, which will allow for more pin placements, and a fairer putting experience.
• We have started a long overdue bunker renovation project, which will include removing the existing sand, reshaping the bunker where needed, adding drains, and refilling the bunkers with new sand. This is another project that has never been done here in YLP (bunker sand should be changed every five years). This project will take time, and will be done with in-house labor.
• We have developed, along with a local PGA golf pro, a free woman’s clinic every Tuesday and Thursday afternoon. We hope to start a junior program soon. I believe that there are a large number of people who live in YLP who would like to begin playing golf, and I feel that our course is the perfect place to start.
• For the first time in over 20 years, we have acquired 10 new golf carts. As a result of our increased play over the past two years (+26%), and revenues from cart rentals, we have been able to make the above improvements without costing the homeowners any additional funds. In fact, with these new carts we will be able to attract more play/revenue which will allow us to do more improvements, which increases everyone’s home value in the long run
We have a great little golf course here in YLP that we should all be very proud of, and look forward to growing our golfing community.